In my recipe “Chocolate Chip Cookies that Will Melt your Heart,” I share how much my grandmother, Margaret, meant to me. She had 5 grandchildren in total and we adored her beyond words.
Our Gram was very proud of her Irish heritage and she did her best to pass along that appreciation to each of us. St. Patrick’s Day was her day to shine.
In honor of Margaret, and the holiday soon approaching, I am happy to share this traditional corned beef and cabbage recipe with you…
“May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back.”
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Cook Time: 8 hours
Serving Size: 6
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 pound of carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3lb corned beef brisket with spices
- 1 small head cabbage, sliced into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix water, garlic, sugar, vinegar, and spice packet in a small bowl.
- Place onion, potatoes, carrots, and bay leaf in a slow cooker.
- Pour mixture over vegetables and place the brisket and cabbage on top.
- Cook on low for approximately 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving
Put on something GREEN, pour a Guinness, and enjoy!