When Cait and I first started dating I wanted to impress her in every possible way. She jokes about how the first night we met I gave her my best sales pitch… “I am an entrepreneur, a technology expert, an experienced sailor and fisherman, founder of a charity, and an excellent skier.” Needless to say, I was looking to amaze her with my boastful bragging!
When it came time to cook for Cait the very first time I subtly inquired about her favorite meals. Before I could finish asking the question, she responded without hesitation “Chicken Piccata!”
I strongly dislike complex recipes so I wanted to come up with a simple, yet spectacular, Piccata dish that she would love. This is a great and easy recipe for Piccata, whether you decide to make it with chicken or fish!
Simple Chicken Piccata Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup brined capers
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 7 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 cup flour
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon sliced
- Angel hair pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook to your preference and drain.
- Slice chicken breasts into thin cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt 3 Tbsp. of butter with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Add chicken to the skillet until browned and flip, roughly 3 minutes per side.
- Remove and transfer to a plate.
- Remove skillet from the stove and add into the pan the lemon juice, chicken stock, butter and capers.
- Scrape up the browned remains from the bottom of the pan for flavor and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the sauce and vigorously whisk.
- Place chicken over cooked pasta.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Garnish with parsley, lemon slices and serve immediately. Cait loves this dish and I hope you do too!