When it comes to making appetizers for a group, my personal mantra has always been to keep it simple. The less prep time required the better!
Over the years I have modified an app that easily fits this criteria. The Crostini appetizer (sometimes called Bruschetta) can be prepared hours in advance and it’s a real crowd pleaser.
One word of warning- When you are invited to a group get together and ask if you can bring something, be prepared for the same request every time, “Can you make your crostini?”
Crostini with Tomatoes and Cheese
* 6 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
* Extra Virgin olive oil
* 1 tbs or more if desired of dried oregano and dried basil
* Garlic salt to taste
* Freshly ground pepper to taste
* Minced garlic, optional
* 8 oz package of shredded mozzarella cheese
* Loaf of French baguette, sliced on the diagonal
* Fresh basil for topping after cooking
1. Place sliced tomatoes in large shallow dish
2. Cover with olive oil
3. Sprinkle with oregano, basil, garlic salt, pepper and minced garlic
4. Gently toss occasionally
5. Meanwhile, butter each side of bread slices and broil on both sides until golden brown.
6. Place a tomato on each bread slice
7. Place Crostini on foil lined cookie sheet and top with cheese.
8. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese melts. Place some fresh basil on top before serving.
Serving size is 30-36 pieces